Skip Navigation

Staff Recycling FAQs


How do I request recycling services? 

Homewood Recycling can provide a plethora of recycling services including:

  • Bulk recycling pickup 
  • Large volume bin delivery (specify the type of material you are disposing of)
  • Large volume bin removal (specify the type of bin to be picked up)
  • Large volume bin empty and return (specify the type of bin to be swapped out)
  • Biohazard supply delivery
  • Deskside bin delivery (specify type: trash or recycling)
  • Hallway or office bin delivery (specify type: trash, paper, metal/plastic, or compost)
  • Furniture removal
  • Furniture purchase
  • Other recycling pickup

Submit a request for recycling services here. If you are unsure of the type of service you require, please email us.

What other types of items can I collect for recycling?

 Staff can collect the following items for recycling: 

  • Film Plastic – Any plastic that is stretchy like Amazon packaging, grocery bags, shrink wrap, etc. 
  • Polystyrene (a.k.a. Styrofoam) - Only white #6 rigid polystyrene should be collected. Any other type of foam should be placed in the incinerate bin. This includes any other number or color foam and peanuts.  
  • TerraCycle is a program that allows you to recycle items that are not accepted in traditional recycling bins. The following categories of items are accepted:  
    • Writing utensils: Pens, pencils, markers 
    • Food packaging: Snack and chip bags, energy bar and candy wrappers,  
    • Oral care: toothpaste tubes, toothbrushes, floss containers,  
    • Skin care packaging: lip balm tubes and caps, soap dispensers and tubes, body. Wash caps, lotion dispensers and caps.  
    • Hair care packaging: shampoo caps, conditioner caps, hair gel tubes, and caps, hair spray triggers, and hair paste caps. Please note #1 and 2 bottles are accepted in Homewood Recycling and your local recycling bins.
    • Cosmetic packaging: lipstick & lip gloss tubes, mascara tubes, eye shadow & cases, liquid and powder foundation packaging, eyeliner and lip liner pencils, etc. 

Submit a request for pickup and please specify the type of material in the description of your request.

How can I dispose of / purchase gently used furniture? 

The Hop Reuse Hub, coordinated by Homewood Recycling, offers a closed-loop for usable campus furniture. If you have unwanted furniture, request a pickup. If you need to purchase furniture, contact the Recycling Coordinator. Please visit the Hop Reuse Hub page for more information. 

How do I recycle electronics and peripherals? 

All computers and computer related equipment including monitors, keyboards, mice, printers, scanners, cell phones, cords, external drives, toner cartridges, all electronics and all types of batteries can be dropped off at the Recycling Office at Wyman Building 3 or a request can be submitted for pick up. Generally, if it has a power button you can recycle it. For large electronics pick ups please select large volume bin delivery in the drop down on the request form. We will bring the cart for you to fill and will pick it back up when you are finished. 

Can I recycle batteries?

The Johns Hopkins University Homewood Campus accepts ALL battery types for recycling. Please follow the procedures outlined below to ensure we are following EPA safety requirements, as batteries can catch fire if not properly handled.

  • All batteries, regardless of type, must have the terminals taped using clear, masking, or electrical tape.
  • Batteries must be separated by type and placed in a bag or box labeled “Used Batteries” and include the type, e.g. Alkaline, Lithium-Ion, Lithium, Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH), Nickel Cadmium (NiCd), etc. Check the side of the battery for type.
  • Batteries can be taped individually, or you can tape smaller batteries together, provided terminals are covered.
  • Contact Homewood Recycling to recycle lead acid batteries.

If these procedures are not followed, we will not be able to remove the batteries for recycling.

Examples of proper taping and separating:

What should I do with excess office supplies? 

Staff can submit a request for pickup of binders, folders, staplers, and other surplus office supplies. Homewood Recycling will donate the items to the School of Education for distribution to local teachers and to the Baltimore Teacher Supply Swap.  

Can I compost at my catered event? 

Yes! Compost bins can be requested for your event by filling out the Event Support Request Form. There is no charge for events that are Zero Waste, meaning all the waste generated at the event is either compostable or recyclable.

This can be done simply by choosing a JHU Preferred Green Caterer. Caterers on JHU’s Preferred Green Caterer list provide compostable service ware at no extra charge. You can find this list and more zero waste planning tips in the 2019-2020 Homewood Zero Waste Events Planning Guide. When booking your caterer, please confirm that they will bring only compostable service ware items.

We also have Power Point slides for use in presentations (w/recycling and compost or just compost) and educational table tents for use at zero waste events. If you have additional questions about hosting a Zero Waste Event, email us.

Are there signs I can print to hang up in my workspace? 

Yes! Signs are available for to print.

Can I recycle items from my lab?

Yes! A limited number of items are accepted for recycling from laboratory environments if they have not been exposed to biological, chemical or radiological contamination. Labels must be defaced or removed. Items from BSL III labs are NOT acceptable. Materials from labs must be collected within the lab and disposed of in designated bins in the hallway. You can request a recycle bin for your lab by filling out the Recycling Request form or use your own bin but it must be clearly labeled “Recycle”. Please read the full HSE guidance on recycling in labs.

How do I handle biohazard material? 

Biohazard material must be disposed of in red bags and placed inside biohazard boxes only. Boxes, bags and tape can be requested using the Recycling Request form. Select biohazard supply delivery and indicate specifically what you need in the notes section.  

  1. All Biohazard boxes must be properly sealed inside each laboratory. Proper closure includes:
    1. Tying closed each red bag placed inside a biohazard box.
    2. Sealing completely all seams on the top and bottom of each box.               
    3. Labeling each box with a marker, lab name, a building name, room number, telephone number       
    4. Ensuring that box is dry and bag is not leaking   
    5. Free of bulging, punctures or open gaps in the box
    6. Dry without any wet spots or stains
  2. Boxes must be under 40 lbs.
  3. Leave sealed boxes at the appropriate location outside your lab for collection by the custodial staff.
  4. Collection of boxes is NOT conducted during inclement weather, specifically snow or rain so they may be left inside the building until conditions are dry.
  5. If boxes are wet, not taped, have items sticking out, are broken or generally not in good condition they will not be picked up. If a box leaks after it was picked up, a lab will be notified to repackage the box.

Can I use the Recycling Request form for campuses other than Homewood?

No. This form is for waste and recycling services on the Homewood campus only. Please contact your campus facilities office for information about waste services on your campus.


Recycling Services


Leana Houser


Brandon Riley

FY21 Hourly Rates:
Overtime: $54.15



Johns Hopkins University
Facilities & Real Estate
3910 Keswick Rd. Suite N3100
Baltimore, MD 21211
443.997.5302 / 443.997.3737